Friday 6 February 2015

Blog Photography Tips!

I decided to write another camera related post as i received a lot of positive comments on my 'How to use your DSLR' post (click here if you fancy a look at that one). So today i am going to be focusing on photography tips for beginners mainly.

1. Fill the frame



I think when you are taking a photo of a product you really want to fill the frame like the photo on the right. You can see the detail so much more clearly and it creates a much bigger impact! You don't want your viewer focusing on the surroundings of the image rather than the actual product you're discussing, so zoom in on your product to help fill the frame more.

2. Use natural lighting to your advantage



This is quite an obvious one but i have seen people make this mistake before so i thought i'd mention it. In my opinion natural lighting is the best for lighting up the focus of your photo, artificial light sometimes creates a really funny glow on the product and especially when you are trying to get a true to life colour (for example eyeshadow swatches) you really need natural lighting. So make sure the lighting is in front of your product rather than behind it!

3. Find the right vantage point



When you are taking a photo of a product play around with the angle. I personally think the head-on angle used for the picture on the right seems to suit the candle more. It picks up on all the detail and just looks more visually appealing, however it does depend on the thing you are photographing. Instead of taking one photo, why don't you try taking a few images from different angles and then you can see which one looks best!

4. Declutter around the product!



If you're taking photos on a table or on your desk try to declutter around the product. If i am looking at a photo and there are a lot of things in the background then i usually get distracted and look at those! I think the photo on the right looks better as it isn't very cluttered but still has a pretty accent piece in the background which i think looks nice without being too much and isn't really distracting.

5. Experiment with depth



This is a tip for people with DSLRs. Remember in my last post when i talked about changing aperture? If you don't then take a look here . I just think this makes the photos look really cool. I love the left photo and how it starts to blur out as it adds so much more emphasis on the first lipstick. I think it looks really professional and is just a way to mix up your photos!

6. Don't over edit!

My final point is just a little note about editing. I think it's really fun to edit your photos and sometimes i can get carried away, but to be honest i much prefer looking at a slightly edited image as it still shows all the detail of the amazing photo you have taken! If you over edit i feel like it's just disguising perhaps a photo you're not that keen on! Personal preference though, some people like edited photos! I really recommend PicMonkey as it is a free online editor and it's super easy to use and i like it!

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any tips of your own!

Thanks for reading Xx

Liked this post? You can follow me on Bloglovin here!

Follow on Bloglovin

SHARE:

55 comments

  1. Great tips! Natural lighting really brings photos to life in my opinion - it's just annoying when you don't see it often haha!

    Beth / Bethany Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab post Hun::: natural light is the best, can't wait till we get more of it....lovely examples of pictures xx

    Laura//libertylovesmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know it won't be long now until the days are brighter! Xx

      Delete
  3. Great post! Definitely agree with natural lighting! x

    http://theperksofmeg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely a very helpful post, I am definitely not amazing at photography and even everyday I am learning with my DSLR but picking things up on the way- when I look back at my old photos I cringe xxx



    Blonde Of Carbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it useful, and I agree about looking back at my old photos! :P xx

      Delete
  5. I loved this post! I completely agree with filling the frame - thanks for sharing your tips! xx
    Elise @ Elise Dopson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab tips! I always struggle with my photos, but the new DSLR is really helping. I like playing around with depth - think it makes the photo look more professional! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree experimenting with depth really helps improve photos :) xx

      Delete
  7. great tips! i always struggle to find rooms that have good natural lighting in my house haha, and also wish i fully started to understand depth and everything on my camera (but supposedly never have time to properly take the time to learn..)! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know sometimes it can be difficult to find areas with good natural lighting. Depth is easy once you get the hang of it and I think you would be able to pick it up from tips online :) xx

      Delete
  8. there's some lovely tips! it'll help a lot of people :)

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win £70 worth of missguided vouchers on my blog, click here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! Off to check out your DSLR post too as I've just started using my other half's Canon for blog photos xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And ooh great, hope you find it useful :) xx

      Delete
  10. Amazing tips! I agree that I get easily distracted or put off a photo if it has too much clutter in the background (although I have the attention span of a toddler).

    alittlesoapbox.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. very helpful advice, thanks for sharing :)

    Melissa || www.vintagemelissa.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Messing with aperture is a bit of an obsession of mine. Great tips for DSLR users!

    Brittany x | Bringing Up Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I love experimenting with aperture!! Thanks for commenting :) xx

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed this post and found it so helpful as the tips are easy to follow but make such a difference :) I definitely agree with filling the frame, that's something I've really learnt recently!
    Love Holly x

    www.thehollydays4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so helpful, I love how simple the tips are but how much of a difference they can make :)

    Lo at Notebook 54 xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love messing around with the aperture settings on my dSLR, it can add so much to a photo, that field depth aha :) These are really great tips!

    little miss fii || Fii x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree its fun to mess around with aperture :) xx

      Delete
  16. Great post! Thank you for sharing ♡ Natural lighting is always the best. I also like the tip on making less crowded pictures. It's about the product, not a backround clutter.

    www.lifelovebeautyparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tips! I like that they can be applied to most basic devices and not just the latest DSLR as well :) Great advice for beginners too :)

    she dreams

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips! :)

    I love the slightly blurred look, especially for outfit pictures!

    A Forte For Fashion

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree it does look great with outfit photos! Xx

      Delete
  19. Great post! I've just recently purchased my first DSLR and am still learning how to use it so thanks for the tips x

    Always, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure you will have loads of fun playing with your new DSLR :D xx

      Delete
  20. I love this post!

    www.studentbargains.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are really good points for blogging photography, and they are useful. You've done a really good job of presenting them! Bookmarking this for future reference haha ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some really good points here! I'm really trying to focus on upping my photography game so find posts like this so helpful!

    Thank you for sharing your link over Twitter (I've also popped a follow on Bloglovin').

    average adventures

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was really helpful. I am AWFUL at photography and I am really trying to improve so every single tip is a big help at the moment. I haven't got a fancy camera but I keep seeing people claiming an iPhone camera will do the trick so we'll see how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure you will improve as you keep on with it! I think an iphone camera would work fine and definitely can produce great blog-worthy images! :D xx

      Delete
  24. These are great tips! Photography is such a huge part of a reader's first impression, and these tips would have definitely helped me (especially the last one) when I was just starting out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes i hope it helps some beginners :D xx

      Delete
  25. This is a great post for someone like me, I'm no expert but it helps to read what other people enjoy seeing. I love how you showed a photo that was good & not so great to show the difference in the small changes ❤️
    Bee xxx
    QueenBeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm glad that you found it helpful :) xx

      Delete
  26. Great post - I need all the help I can get with photos, it's something I know I need to learn a lot more about!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post!!

    www.denajayne.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are great tips! It took me some trial and error to start taking good photos but this sums it up perfectly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. These tips are really great and useful! Thanks for sharing! x.

    The Fashion Spell

    ReplyDelete

I reply to every comment i receive, so feel free to leave one as i loooove reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Wanderlust Leah | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig